Wednesday, July 23, 2008

First Couple of Days in New Zealand

Leaving Fiji was like saying good bye to good weather. Auckland weather started out to be wet and gloomy.

Vatsa (my friend's wife) came to pick us up at the airport in Auckland. Soon as we walked out of the airport to the parking lot it started pouring. Little did I know that this would continue for 3 days straight.

The first three days in Auckland all we did was eat and relax. First day in Auckland we got introduced to an ice cream parlor called Movenpick. Butti (my friend, real name Niral), Vatsa (his wife), Gin (my wife) and I (me, Jigar) all of us went there three nights in a row. My favorite flavor was Maple Walnut. Suprisingly maple walnut actually tasted like real maple syrup and that's why I liked it so much. My second favorite was Vanilla Brownie. Highly recommended if you go to Auckland and make sure you have it with the cone they have :)

Our second day in Auckland, Gin and I spent updating our blog and getting groceries at the supermarket. Once Butti was out of work, all of us went out for dinner, followed by Movenpick ice cream.

Finally on day three Gin and I took the bus downtown and explored the city. Little did we know that there wasn't much to do in downtown. We were done exploring downtown Auckland in a few hours. The most memorable thing in downtown Auckland for me was Britomart (train station). It was Auckland's take on Grand Central Terminal of New York City except that it was nothing exceptional, at least not like grand central. Again, the weather was pretty terrible. Rain all day. Gin and I decided to skip the sky tower and Kelly Carlton's underwater world. Again those two were like going to the empire state building and the sea world. If the weather was any better we might have gone up to sky tower, but with poor visibility we decided to stay on street level. Again, we went out for dinner followed by Movenpick ice cream :).

Still day three, we had opening night tickets to The Dark Knight at midnight. We went back to Butti and Vatsa's place and saw more Jeff Dunham's sparks of insanity comedy show. It was awesome. I laughted my ass off. Gin and Vatsa had decided to take a nap before going to the midnight show. The movie was awesome. It was, I felt, better than the first one (Batman Begins). It was 3am and we were all so wide awake from the movie and we decided to go home and hangout more before going to sleep. I knew we weren't going to wake up early for our trip, but it didn't matter because we had a lot of fun.

1 comment:

'Tis a beautiful life! said...

can't tell you how much i miss movenpick and their maple walnut :(

great blog btw! glad i came across it :)