Friday, July 11, 2008

Cody's blackhole

While waiting on line to checkin the plane to our first destination, Cody an 8 year old boy asked Gin and I if we knew what blackhole was. Cody explained blackhole as something that makes something disappear. Gin and I joked about losing thursday as the blackhole effect. We were going to board the plane on a wednesday and we were suppose to land on a friday, which means thursday didn't exist for us.

Well turns out that Cody was right about the blackhole effect. We couldn't board the plane to Fiji because my passport had been washed out and the airline refused to let me board the plane. Gin was devastated by this. I don't think neither Gin nor I were ready to start tackling this kind of hurdle so early. But we're treating thursday as a blackhole day. A day that doesn't exist which basically means that everything that happened today doesn't really count.

Anyhow, Gin and I ended up staying at motel 8 a few blocks away from the airport after the whole fiasco of boarding the plane. I could hear every single plane landing or taking off, but thanks to earplugs I was fast asleep. In the morning, Gin and I went to the passport office and applied for my new passport. While we were waiting for the passport to get ready, Gin and I started going around town and started checking small shops and cafes. Soon, we realized that it didn't really matter where we were as long as we had eachother and were having fun. Upon further investigation, we found out that we were in the neighborhood of westwood, Los Angeles. Gin and I fell in love with the neighborhood. We spent a few hours in the area before heading back to the passport office to pickup my passport.

The entire day was a day of anticipation because the passport office told us that they don't guarantee that I will get a new passport. Fortunately, we walked out the passport office as one of the last few people with their passport in their hands. That was overcoming the first obstacle. The second big obstacle was that since we missed out flight last night, we're on stand by for tonight. We're the first ones to be on standby for a plane that holds 450 people. The plane is overbooked by 20 people, but the staff seems optimistic that we will get on board. We keep our fingers crossed while we wait 'til 10 pm to hear if we can get on board or not. The staff here at Air Pacific know us now and the manager decided to waive the fee for change of date. The last but not least of the obstacles is the resort in Fiji. I hope that they come pick us up in Nadi, Fiji to get to the resort which takes about an hour and a half boat ride to get to.

We wait patiencely while remembering Mary's late text message that read, "the beaches of Fiji awaits you."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

all i can say is.
it would be just like you, jadav to forget to renew his passport even though he was going around the world.
;]faiqa.

Vatsa said...

Oh my goodness, I would have totally freaked out if that had happened to me! Thankfully it got sorted for you...Blackhole indeed!

SBohbot said...

wow, I hope you got on that flight. Let's just get all the hurdles out of the way at the beginning of your trip so that the rest of your adventure is smooth sailing. Thanks for the great wedding weekend!

Reproduction and You said...

yikes! I hope that things works out in the end. At least you don't have to worry about making it back to work in time ;). Long live blackhole day where worrying is a wadte of time!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Next time you're stuck in Westwood, remember, you have friends in LA....

Jigar said...

Thanks Faiqa! Had to be you to leave that message... Hope you're still following the blog. Enjoy!

-Jigar Jadav

Anonymous said...

Hey Jigar,

Looks like you guys are having a great time
Hope it stays like that (no more airport repeats lol)

good wishes,

Yaser

Jigar said...

Thanks Yaser! I'm so glad to see that you're checking out the blog. We are having a time of our lives. Say hi to Bayan and your mom for me. School is starting soon, make sure you have fun!!!

Jigar said...

Hey Steph, it was a pleasure having you guys at our wedding. The trip is going fantastic!!!

Jigar said...

Maria, very well said. Gin & I were thinking the same. This trip wouldn't feel the same if we had to worry about coming back to work.