Saturday, July 26, 2008

Coromendal Peninsula with Butti & Vatsa

Butti and Vatsa had taken two days off which made it a four day weekend for us to go somewhere. We decided to head out to Coromendal Peninsula. By the time we got out of the house it was lunch time. Before we got out of Auckland, I had fallen asleep in the car. When I woke up, I saw beautiful landscape and couldn't believe I was still in the same country. This was real New Zealand. Miles and miles of beautiful landscape with lots of sheeps and cows grazing the grass. Luckily, the weather was beautiful and it was a pleasant drive. By the time we got to the town of Whitianga, it was sundown. After going around a few places to stay, we decided to stay at Backpackers On the Beach accomodations. It was a nice little two bedroom suite with kitchen. We ended up having dinner at an Indian restaurant (Sangam). It was really good food contrary to Butti's experience of eating Indian food in small town. Of course, as always the dish I had ordered sucked. It tasted like cow manure (not that I know what cow manure taste like, but I'm sure it was just as bad, looked the same). Everything else was awesome, even the desserts. We had a loki night.

Gin and I got up early to see the sunrise from our suite. Instead, we decided to put on our coats and walk down the beach which was literally across the street. I was glad we did that because it was a beautiful sunrise with my wife next to me.

The weather stayed awesome with clear blue skies and lots of sunshine. A few hours later we decided to head out to Cathedral Cove where the opening scene of the movie Narnia, Price Caspian was shot. I haven't seen the movie, but Gin gave pretty bad reviews of the movie. Anyhow, the place was amazing. The awesome part about being here during winter is that there are very few people around these magnificant places, but the downside is that it's cold and the weather is very spotty. Anyways, we were on a day when the weather was beautiful and there were very few people around which allowed for some awesome photographs.

We passed by the hot water beach where you're suppose to dig a hole and get in the hole where hot water from the ground combines with the cool water from the sea. Unfortunately, it wasn't the season to do it, so we skipped it. The success rate at the hot water beach is about 30%. Being a math teacher I figured the odds were against us. (math is all around us).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It always boils down to chi-chi.Miss you both.