Sunday, July 27, 2008

Oops, I did it again!

Unfortunately, the day after Cathedral Cove turned out to be a 120 KMH wind storm. We were going to be stuck in our motel.

Butti and I decided to go for a drive in the midst of the storm, while Gin and Vatsa decided to be smart and stay indoors during the storm.

Butti and I drove for about half an hour and it was very gusty. We came across a nice lookout point where we pulled over and took some snaps. Butti forgot to turn off the lights of the car and the car wouldn't start. We tried several times, but no luck.

I was not at all nervous or worried because I was on my vacation and there was nothing that would've phased me. Had this happened in the states I would've been nervous and possibly stressed.

To our disadvantage, we had no cell phone reception, so we couldn't make any phone calls either. We left the car by the jetty and walked up to see if we can get any help. Luckily, there was a truck pulled over on the side because of the bad weather. Butti and I asked the driver, Himesh, for jump cables. Sadly, he didn't have any jump cables on him.

Himesh, the truck driver, had a different cell phone carrier so he had a reception. He called his buddy who called his buddy and got a guy to come over. While we were waiting for the other guy to come, I was wondering if this was a scam. Butti told me that it is common in New Zealand for people to just help other people out. This was a big surprise for me because in New York people go out of their way to make things difficult for you.

Anyways, a car pulled over by the truck and we directed the gentleman towards the jetty. I had my fingers crossed because if this didn't work then we were in big trouble. Fortunately, it just needed a jump start and wallah the car was on. We offered the guy some money and at first he wouldn't take it. Butti and I insisted that he took $50 we were offering him. He finally took it and we continued our adventure. Thanks to Himesh and the unnamed gentleman, we were able to get out of a pretty tight situation easily.

So we continued our journey towards the town of Coromendal. Meanwhile, I told Butti to call send a text message to Vatsa so they wouldn't worry for us. We had told the girls that we would be back in about an hour and it was already 2 hours we were gone. By the time we returned back to the motel, it was the end of the day. When we got back, Gin and I were about to kill us because they didn't know if we were okay. I thought it was a resonable reaction since we made no effort to inform them that we were alive. Anyways, it turned out to be a pretty awesome adventure even though we were admist a storm.

No comments: