Saturday, August 23, 2008

Skiing in New Zealand

Today we went upto the Treble Cone ski field. I was really excited about skiing in New Zealand. The best part about coming up to the ski field was that our rental car was paying for the lift, so all I had to do was rent skis, boots and polls. Luckily, renting them in town was the cheapest option ($20 skis, boots and polls). So it was pretty awesome skiing for only $20 instead of paying $125 (Treble one day package with lift and rentals).

The visitor center had informed us that Treble Cone was an intermediate to advanced level mountain. They did not have much of beginner runs. After much consideration, Gin decided not to go because of the level of the mountain. It was a smart decision.

Once I was all geared up and ready to hit the slopes, I came across Russ. He was an instructor at Treble Cone. It's a funny coincidence that he was from Vermont and grew up skiing at Berkshire East, the same place I learned how to ski. He was a totally awesome guy and very friendly. Him and I hit the slopes together and he gave me important tips about my skiing. It was definitely worth it. It was just fun to be skiing with someone and since it was my first time at Treble Cone I was a little nervous. I felt totally at ease and I was totally honest about my level of experience.


We took the lift from the base and got to 1760 meters. The views were incredible. We went down "Twister" and picked up "Easy Rider" (Green circle, beginner level run). Russ was quite impressed with my form and told me I was taught well. Thanks to dad (Doug, my father-in-law), I felt quite at ease on skis. Russ thought I was totally ready for the intermediate level (Blue square, intermediate level run). I wasn't sure if I was, but I trusted his judgement. I was especially not sure about intermediate level because he told me that the intermediate level slopes at Berkshire are like beginner level slopes at Treble Cone. Anyhow, we went to some basic intermediate level slopes and it was awesome. We took the lift once more and this time around we took the Saddle Track to Pete's Treat. Russ' tips really helped me get back to the base of the mountain. I did fall along the way, but it was a "good" fall. The third time around we went from Upper High Street to Raffills Run to Pete's Treat. Raffills' run was more difficult than earlier run. I enjoyed it a lot, especially after falling once more.

Once the lesson was over around noon, I gave Gin all the inside scoop on mountain. We took the base lift together so we could see the beautiful views from the top. She enjoyed it.

I continued skiing and took "Upper High Street" to "Raffills Run" to "Ego Alley". I also tried "Main Street" all on my own and it was incredible. It was scary, but in New Zealand there just means adrenaline. I stayed on the mountain until the last lift and had an awesome time. Just wish I could have done it along with Gin or dad.

3 comments:

Russ said...

Jigar:

I really enjoyed skiing with you the other day, and I was totally psyched to get to show you around Treble Cone. Isn't it great to know that it is true: ski in the East Berkshire East in particular)and you can ski anywhere ? Take good care and enjoy the remainder of your honeymoon travels.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Jigar,
It's the student that makes the coach look good.

I am glad you enjoyed skiing New Zealand. I remember going down a lot of trails with you last winter - they are special memories.

Love,
Dad

Jigar said...

They sure were wonderful memories Dad! Skiing in New Zealand was a lot of fun. I'm sure you would have enjoyed it a lot. New Zealand is a place you would absolutely love. Miss you and mom both!

Love,

Jigar